Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Gift

My friend Kathi Kuti who makes wonderful miniatures gave me two dolls last month and I forgot them at her place. She is so busy making that she hasn't updated her website but if you go there you will get an idea of her talent just by her opening home page.Yesterday we had our "doll club" which should actually be called an art club because we make all kinds of things and try all kinds of projects. Kathi was making the little tufts of feathers for her miniature pull toy duckies that are about the size of a quarter I think. I was making a beaded bracelet and showed them two beaded necklaces that I'm working on. Deb was making a stuffed owl out of a piece of old quilt that was her husband's grandmothers. Joan was working on a little owl from Kathi's pattern and Marion was knitting a lovely ruffled scarf. A few of the other members/friends were missing. Nevertheless we had a lot of fun visiting (which is what we do most) and working/playing.
The two dolls that Kathi gave me obviously don't measure up to her dolls in that they are huge compared to her size and they are porcelain. I love them and will keep them for my grand-daughter. One doll is in a high chair and the other doll is standing on a shelf by my other dolls and collectables. They are both very beautiful and my grand-daughter will love them - eventually. She is only 3 and wants to put every doll she has in the tub with her so they are not going to her house yet.
Next to this doll is the second gnome I made and a tree sprite made from an actual tree branch. See what I mean about not just dolls? Kathi had these tree branches and a bunch of "stuff" that she'd collected including the seed pods from a bush in her back yard. They are the top of the sprite's head - hair. The eyes are a pair of earrings and the ears are also earrings. The lips are a piece of "stuff" from a potpori collection that Kathi had. We make dolls and figures and yesterday if Marianne had been able to come we would have been painting on paper to make a torn picture - I have no idea - and will just have to send a photo when we get it done. I guess we also have to have an idea for a pattern - like a stained glass pattern. We'll see. Marianne Reitsma made dolls for years and has taken a break and is now making some wonderful Cakes - as in cake decorating. She made the un-birthday cake for our groups collective Un-Birthday and she made it gluten free for me. How wonderful is that eh?  Well that is all for now. Off to the bead shop - like I need more stash eh? Have a good one.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, these are wonderful! What a beautiful gift. You are blessed to have a group to work and visit and play with like this. I love your sprite and garden gnome... how fun.

    ReplyDelete